My bilingual child
Workshop for parents and those who care for children under the age of 6
Fri 22 February 2019 19:00 – 21:00
Harbour Hotel, New Dock Road, Galway
Join Dr Francesca La Morgia for an interactive workshop designed for parents and for those who care for young children who speak more than one language.
– Parents’ expectations for language maintenance in the primary school years
– Strategies for supporting the home language
– Tips and activities to promote harmonious bilingual development throughout childhood
– Tips and activities to promote motivation and enjoyment in using the home language
– What to do if you are concerned about your child’s development
About the Speaker
Francesca La Morgia is Assistant Professor in Clinical Speech and Language Studies in Trinity College Dublin, and the coordinator of the Irish Research Network in Childhood Bilingualism and Multilingualism. Since 2006, her research has focused on child language development and bilingualism. Before joining Trinity, Francesca lectured in UCD, DCU and at the University of Reading, where she was also responsible for the English branch of Bilingualism Matters. She has been running workshops for bilingual families, teachers and other professionals for 10 years, and in 2017 she founded Mother Tongues, to offer these workshops and classes to a wider audience.
Buy your ticket
All proceeds from the evening will go to Mother Tongues and its projects to support families raising bilingual and multilingual children in Ireland.
To become a member, please visit https://mothertongues.ie/membership/
This event is part of the Mother Tongues Festival – find out more at www.mothertonguesfestival.com